Creamy Mushroom Fricasse [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms, (Chestnut, White Button, Shiitake, Portobello)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (oat, soy, almond, etc…)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large, high-sided pan, then add the sliced onions. Gently soften for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook for a further 3 minutes, then turn up the heat and add the cup of white wine.
- Stir and bring to the boil, reduce heat slightly, and simmer for 5 minutes, reducing the liquid and burning off the alcohol. Then, reduce heat and sift in the flour, stirring constantly to create a roux. Mix well to combine the olive oil, juices, and flour and keep slowly stirring for 3 minutes to cook the flour. The mixture will thicken.
- Once the flour is cooked and everything’s all lumped up together, start to add the milk, about 1/3 of a cup at a time, stirring in all the while so you don’t get any lumps.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste, crumble in the stock cube and add the thyme. Simmer for a few minutes to let flavours combine and heat through. Stir through the spinach and serve over pasta of choice.